Watership Down by Richard Adams

I found this book because a friend showed me a card in a bookstore she thought was funny. It had a small cartoon bunny holding a book called Watership Down with a horrified look on its face. She thought it was funny... Having never heard of the book I naturally didn't get it. Luckily for me I didn't just walk away. I asked what it was about and she explained to me it was a book about "bunnies who get into a war". While this is certainly part of the book it is far from the only part.

This book tells the story of a group of rabbits that are forced to find a new home. Along the way they make some new friends, and some enemies. One important thing to remember is that this is a children's story of sorts. Yes it has some heavy themes and tense moments but it is meant to be a fantasy adventure for older kids. Despite that I found was a fantastically written story that has introduced me to one of my favorite characters I have come across named Hazel. Hazel is the rabbit in charge so to speak. All of the bunnies are awesome though so it is hard to point out just one.

Many people also point out the movie that was made in the 70's that was... well apparently nightmare inducing. I don't know, I never saw it. All I know is this book is fantastic and definitely worth reading.

Buy it on Amazon

Comments