Skip to main content

Have A Suggestion?

I encourage feedback and suggestions! If you have read a book you think I or anyone else would like to read please don't hesitate to share in the comment section of my posts!

Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity By Julia Serano

I wrote this book review almost seven years ago on my other blog Silly Trans Woman but I find myself still suggesting this book to others. In fact after just repurchasing it about a month ago I have already lent it out again! Very few books have left such a lasting impression on my thoughts on gender, feminism and identity. Below is my original review:

This book is a mind opening and thought provoking read that is great for just about anyone. Many of Ms. Serano's arguments on how society views femininity and the resulting opinions of what it means to identify as female (especially for transsexuals) are well thought out and based on sound reasoning. I found myself reexamining many of my very own ideas about who I am and how others preserve me.

I recommend this book not only to transsexuals, but just about anyone who wants a fresh perspective on how our culture views and reacts to differences in gender expression.

Buy it on Amazon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wool, Shift, and Dust by Hugh Howey

I love dystopian sci-fi. I am not going to lie but this trilogy, and specifically the first book Wool ranks a probably my favorite in this genre and definitely in my top 5 books period.

In Wool the reader is shown an underground world that slowly starts to unravel. This story starts with a group of people living underground in a silo. All they know is it's not safe to go outside because the air is toxic. They do not know why the air is toxic. As the story develops both the reader and main characters are are presented with questions like, why are they there? Why do people condemned to die by being sent outside always clean the sensors that give the people in the silo their only views of the barren outside landscape? Who is really in control? As the tension builds, and the fragile social structure in the silo unravels we are introduced to layers of mystery and storytelling that (at least in my experience) are unique and exciting. I think I bought the second book Shift immediately af…

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson

In this book Mr Manson offers a no nonsense, funny and sometimes uncomfortable reality that is both refreshing and honest. He outlines in some very blunt, practical and thought provoking arguments for why the old mantra of "thinking positive" is not really the most helpful or productive way to approach life, all while using the word "Fuck" in a great deal of interesting ways (points just for that!). He also points out how we let trivial and meaningless distractions and unimportant clutter waste our time and make us feel like shit. How we hold on to toxic ideas and why we often give a fuck about the wrong things.

Reading this book I myself, almost at every topic in fact, thinking "Huh... never framed it that way", and that is what this book does best. It helps show us how to frame our thoughts, problems and priorities in a way that really lets us let go of the bullshit and start thinking and prioritizing the stuff that really matters.

Not only did I love e…

World War Z by Max Brooks

I saw the movie based on this book staring Brad Pitt in the theater when it came out and liked it well enough. I do believe the book is way better but will say to me tells a very different story. It was recommended that I read this when I was talking to a friend about The Walking Dead.

I will start out by saying that what this book is does best is it takes a completely implausible theme (zombies) and tells a story using 100% plausible personal stories as well as descriptions of economic and political fallout that you read and thing "hmm... yeah, that could actually happen". This is impressive given the basic underlying story and works on almost every level. Yes, there are a lot of unanswered questions and some of the story forces the reader to suspend a bit of belief in logic but overall the story is solid and it is a great read.

What I won't do is really talk to much else about the differences between the book and movie because they really only share the zombie war the…